This summer has been SO Exciting! If you are paying attention to the latest market trend, there is a furious WAR of MOBILITY going on out there!! More details later, we have been very busy in August with 4 public events and 1 corporate engagement including:
- 2012-08-16 Tradelink-Adams “Online Developing OBM business in China” at Mira Hotel (16 people from enterprises developing China market)
- 2012-08-22 HKIRC “2012 Digital Marketplace – Creating New Online Business Frontiers” at Cyberport (400+ people from SME’ and local enterprises) [see photos]
- 2012-08-23 Adams “Strategy of e-Marketing & Social Media” at Mira Hotel (15 people from enterprises of FMCG/Retails Industry segments)
- 2012-08-30 香港出口商會 “如何利用網絡及社交媒體助你瞄準國內目標客戶？” at HKPC (25+ people from SME’s and local enterprises)
Our next e-Marketing Training is on Sep 20, 2012, the registration is open now. if you have friends who are interested to join, please feel free to forward this link to them for us (www.adamshk.com/trainings/strategy_of_emarketing_training.htm).
I am excited to inform you that we are in the middle of compiling a brand new website of Adams with most of our updated news showing on www.adams.com.hk (it also works for www.白武士.公司.香港). Did you know it is free to bundle a Chinese domain? I only found out at the HKIRC event on Aug 22, 2012.
Ok, that’s enough for the news of Adams, let’s get back to our main topic of this e-Mail. As marketer, I am very concerned about how to push marketing messages to our target customers. With the rise of Smartphones, namely starting from iPhone, now it is the age of Samsung (at least true for Hong Kong), the mobile internet users are ever increasing at a rate faster we can imagine. According to IDC’s research, “the worldwide smartphone market grew 42.5% year over year in 1Q12, as Samsung overtook Apple for the smartphone leadership position. Vendors shipped 144.9 million Smartphones in 1Q12 compared to 101.7 million units in 1Q11.” (www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS23455612)
We live in an Internet Age, more accurately….we live in a “MOBILE AGE”. In Hong Kong, according to the Office of the Communications Authority, there are nearly 9M 2.5G/3G/4G mobile subscribers as of May, 2012. How can we win on WhatsApp is the very question I am asking myself every day. WHY? WhatsApp has successfully stolen the mass of public who are used to chat on Facebook and to certain extend discussion forums. However, there is no official advertising channel on WhatsApp, advertisers have no formal ways to push their marketing message by using this platform. Well, you can still do it manually but it is going to be difficult and, in Hong Kong, you must also observe the UEMO (Unsolicited Electronic Message Ordinance). I heard in a seminar from WeChat (Product of Tencent, producer of famous “QQ” in China), that they are opening advertising channel on this WhatsApp equivalent product. This is good news to advertiser and who want to penetrate the China Market.
From the same IDC report mentioned above, we see the sales growth of Samsung is overtaking Apple, the wave of “Galaxy” is making a phenomenon success in the market everywhere! Specifically, I think Samsung Galaxy Note is fabulously transforming the market and mobile experience. If you compare its screen resolution, weight, display size, battery life…etc, it is winning by far. It is exactly the reason a lot of non-technical users, including my wife, are enjoying the first time experience of Smartphone in their lives with it! My question to ALL marketers are “are you ready to embrace the market of mobility?”. That is,
- Have you set your SEM (Search Engine Marketing) to include Mobile devices on Google?
- Are your advertisements showing on Google Mobile Network (AdMob)?
- Are your landing pages/mini-sites/corporate websites of your online marketing “Mobile Ready” auto-fitting to iPhone, Galaxy Note, Galaxy Tab, iPad… with “finger-friendly” menu items? [Adams is doing a real testing using the Google mobile site converter on our project www.ladies.gig.hk, it is now mobile ready! ]
- Are you purposely collecting mobile phone numbers of your target customers for promotional channels like SMS, WhatsApp, WeChat, Line, Kakao…etc?
Do you really want to develop a mobile app on iPhone or Android? My simple answer is NO. You maybe surprised that I would not recommend people to develop mobile apps for your company/brands/products? The reason behind is that it is just too difficult to be successful in terms of downloads and usage. There are research showing over 50% of people would not use more than 3 apps per day and only 30% of people who may use more than 5 apps. In order to win this game is NOT EASY! However, I would suggest you to make sure to include “Widgets” in your mobile apps if you do think you may have chances to win. With Widgets, you can push messages instantly to people’s Smartphone screens without opening your app. It is really useful way to get your message across. The Hong Kong Observatory is a great example!(http://www.hko.gov.hk/myobservatory_e.htm)
In summary, we do not have time to get ready for this “WAR of MOBILE AGE” as it is already happening. We need to act really swiftly and tactically to win over the competitions. Mobile Commerce is also a key area that we have to pay attention as e-Commerce is so mature in this age!
Have a great weekend and I look forward to connecting with you soon!
Adams Company Limited